Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mail Call

We got a letter from Gib. It's funny how there weren't that many words written but I can tell he is Ok. He's a tough soldier but said he loves us at least three times. Then  I saw a missed call from him! I couldn't believe it! Must have been as I was getting home from work and in the door. I never expected he would call on his cell phone. It was like a slow motion replay. I was grabbing my phone and saying " Nooooooo!" He said that he called Kayla and gave her his address. It was priceless to hear his voice. It confirmed he is OK. His voice sounded strong. I am sure the hard part starts tomorrow. He has been in  Reception for the past week. Reception involves getting a series of medical tests and shots, uniforms, pay information and all equipment needed for basic training.
We can now begin to write him letters. I discovered an organization that was started by a military mom called Write2them.org that converts emails to Garret into letters he will receive by mail at basic training. What a brilliant idea! I know he will have to do 20 push-ups for every letter but I think he will be OK with that. 

2 comments:

pammycakes said...

Oh we are in for the military journey with you!!! Love you and love love love Gibson!!!!!

Justine said...

When Pam told me that Garret was going into the Army my first thought was oh no!!!!...his poor mommy. I think it's the hardest thing us moms have to do is letting our kids become adults...letting go. The tears I shed and mine were near by. I cried for 2 years. Then I cried when I had visits and they left. Then I cried when they experienced adult pains. Now (15 years since they left for college) I smile a lot. Now I enjoy them as adults and good people that I helped create. Kim it will get better and easier.