Sunday, February 2, 2014

He called, just not us

Oh young love. Garret got to make his first phone call. He called Kayla. Mind you, I fully expected it but had a moment that lasted about 5 minutes and it passed. (The things that went through my head: "It's fine, I didn't birth you, 10 days late, all 9.5 pounds. It's fine, really!!!") Kayla needed to hear his voice more. He is doing really well but the hardest part is missing everyone. That's sweet. Sundays are the worst he said. Too much free time to think. He really likes his "battle buddy". That's the person they team you up with for basic training. White phase starts the end of this week. He said things will get easier. He loves getting letters from everyone.

I write this as we are watching the Super Bowl. Garret can't watch it. I will tell him the best part was the Kitten Bowl. Commercials have been decent. What about that Bob Dylan and Tim Tebow commercials?  

We had the opportunity to hear David Akers, NFL kicker and one of Chad's inspirations, speak at an area church today. What an awesome testimony. I found myself getting very emotional when he was sharing his journey. It was so similar to Chad's minus the NFL part. I haven't had enough distance from the season yet. I also know that is the path Chad wants to take. Akers' three points were Perseverance, Perspective, and Personnel. We all want our kids to see their goals met. If anyone can do it, Chad can. He got the chance to meet Akers afterwards and he gave Chad his contact information. What an opportunity. Check out his website at http://www.davidakersministries.com for his full story.
Things are getting no more interesting with the game. Until next time, over and out.

No comments: