Thursday, February 27, 2014

I Drive Your Truck

As I mentioned last time, my van was hit by another car and I took it to the dealership to get repaired yesterday. After I talked to several very nice people, the Enterprise Rental Car representative said she would take me out to the parking lot to my rental vehicle. She led me to this.
 
Now do I look like a Ford F150 kind of girl? Nothing about any of it made sense. The rep asked me if I was Ok with this vehicle. I hesitated then thought, "I most certainly am. I will not be intimidated by a ginormous Redneck truck. Bring it on!" Apparently they like to keep you in a similar size to the vehicle you have. This truck is about 3 of my van but I won't squabble over little things. Now I know I am not a petite girl but I still had to claw my way into the driver's seat. I also will recommend to the makers of this vehicle that  a place for my purse would be lovely. There is only a very large console between the seats that opens up for which I imagine is a place for your revolver or Skoal cans. I backed up with my head held high and got on the highway. I may have given some dudes in your everyday average sedans a look or two. After all I was driving a four-wheel beast that could kick their butt.  I returned to work after this appointment and pulled into the employee parking lot and realized the turning radius is non existent so I backed up a couple times to straighten out. The VP was standing in the lot looking at me. As gracefully as possible, I  "hopped" out and politely said "hello" and continued past him with no further explanation. Got to keep people on their toes. 
What is so ironic is that Garret wants to get a truck like this as soon as he knows where he is stationed. I feel like I am driving this in his honor. He called Sunday and apologized for breaking my heart and making me feel like a failure as a mother when he didn't call the week before. Well that's what I heard anyway. He is doing really well. He scored as "Expert" in marksmanship and only 3 others out of 200-plus soldiers received that. He said the worst is missing everyone but basic really isn't too bad. It was just what I needed in hearing his voice. He has a few more weeks of basic before starting AIT or Advanced Individual Training. That's when his military police training will get real. We miss him very much but have settled into a new normal and just trust God will keep him safe. 
If you hear a big ol' truck go by with music blaring it's probably me. At least until I get my inconspicuous, boring Mom van back. 



No comments: