Thursday, May 1, 2014

Fast Forwarding Life

It's May 1 and we will see Garret in exactly 28 days at 0900 hours. That's when we will be able to see him to begin Family Day and later that evening attend The Warrior Banquet. May 29 is basic training graduation and Garret will be decked out in his Dress Blues and I will cry, I mean really cry. Just the thought of it makes me cry.

He was able to make a surprise phone call last night. He has a cold and allergies and has injured his hip so he sounded tired. He is weary and ready to be done with this phase of his military training. I think that's often how life is. You are able to be strong when you see the long road ahead but when it is close to the end of the path, you just get tired. Praying he can stay strong and healthy.

We saw a lot of Rich's family this past weekend when we traveled to Georgia to see Aubrey and Justin tie the knot. It's always fun to see everyone and catch up with friends and family. There were babies too which is an extra special bonus.

Just when they thought we wouldn't see each other for awhile, we were able to share the news that Garret and Kayla are tying the knot too. They want to be together in Japan and if that can happen they have to be married in order for her to be able to go. They had planned to go to the Justice of the Peace when Garret came home on leave after basic training but every girl wants a wedding and Kayla's family also thought that was important so amazingly a wedding has come together pretty well. We are joking that if you get married on a random Tuesday you can pretty much get what you want.


Garret has not taken an easy path. He has crammed graduating from college in 3.5 years, leaving a month later for basic training, and now getting married and shipping to Japan all into 6 months. My heart is anxious, happy, sad, excited all at the same time. I couldn't ask for anything more than the family that will forever be connected to us and in Kayla to be my daughter-in-law. She loves Garret. They will have many new things to deal with as well as learning to be married but we all figure it out some how. I know Rich and I did.

The scariest part of them getting married is that I have no idea how to dance and I had to pick out a mother-son dance song for the reception. I really thought I would have more time to learn these things. Here's hoping my inner Elaine Benes doesn't make an appearance.

1 comment:

pammycakes said...

I want to see Elaine!!!!!