Monday, March 16, 2015

Yes, I'm still here

Have you been to a Wendy's restaurant recently and seen the new beverage dispensers? We went for a quick dinner last evening and I was standing in front of this space-age looking dispenser that can supposedly provide over 200 choices of a beverage. As I stood there looking, deciding, feeling ever more stressed about which beverage I was craving, the screen displayed this question, " Are you still there?" First, just because I need to evaluate my selection from over 200 choices and take more than 10 seconds, yes I am still there. Some frequent customer was breathing down my neck so I quickly made a choice but kept thinking about the deeper meaning that the question asked. How can a beverage dispenser make me think of that really philosophical question? 
I am being a little sarcastic but still it made me think. I have enjoyed beyond words my time not working these past 3 weeks. It's glorious. I had no idea how much better I would feel. I know I need to find a part-time job when we return from a week in Florida just so I can say, " Yes I am still here." Time to get back to reality and pull my weight. Now I know why those in education take a sabattical. Well, not really but it's a sweet gig if you can get it. 
I have purchased a sewing machine for the first time in my life. I took sewing in Home Economics in Eighth grade and it was a disaster. The teacher was kind of awful and gave us a pattern and expected us to sew a complete garment. Later when Lauren was born I made the colossal mom mistake and tried to make her clothes when I borrowed a sewing machine. Fail. This time I think it may be more successful. Some of those basic techniques seem to be in my noggin and my expectation is only to sew a straight seam so my low expectations combined with my user-friendly machine, it just work this time. I will keep you posted. 

No comments: